Thursday, December 4, 2008

December 4, 2008 - Ronan, Montana Home

As I sit here reflecting on the last few months of my life - those spent in the Dominican Republic, I am overcome with emotion. I have met some very amazing people and without them I am sure I would have had a extremely hard time adjusting to my new, somewhat temporary, life in Santo Domingo. Though there were times where I seriously considered entering my credit card and buying a ticket home early, or times when I was stressed to the max and would scream "I ****ING HATE THIS COUNTRY!!!!!," I know that the amazing people that I had the privilege of spending every day with were the reason I stayed and stuck it out. The simple acts of venting to eachother, laughing together, gossiping together, reminiscing on the lives we left behind in our respective homes, crying together, or even fighting with each other, I would not trade for anything. As I have said before, we were 10 people thrown into a seemingly endless ocean and we were forced to cling to one another to keep from drowning. In clinging to one another, we forged great friendships that I sincerely hope we can keep alive, even now that we are not all together anymore. I believe that I experienced more of the Dominican Republic in the last 3 and a half months, spending my time almost solely with American students, than I ever did living in the country for 8 months, spending my time almost solely with Dominicans. This is, most likely, due to the fact that the American students shared my yearning to travel around the country and experience and see as much of it as we possibly could. This was not as possible during my previous 8 months in Santo Domingo, as most Dominicans do not share in this urge to explore their own land. I am so appreciative of all the trips I was able to partake in and all the different parts of the country I was able to experience. I would not trade these memories for anything, for they are truly priceless. Though I will be returning in January, as will a select few of my classmates this semester, it will definitely not be the same without the rest of the group, our family. Thank you, each and every one of you, and I sincerely hope we can maintain the friendships we formed from afar, for we truly were like a family these past 3 and a half months.

No comments: